Wednesday, June 2, 2010

2009 Fulton Park Thanksgiving Outreach - How it began

After getting "approval" from Pastor Steve, we sent out the following letter to friends, family, and local businesses:

“For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me” Matthew 25:35-36


Viq and I have a passion for our neighborhood, and the surrounding neighborhoods. We live on Michigan Street, between First and Fulton Avenues. When trying to decide what to do for Thanksgiving this year, we decided to think out of the box and change our “tradition.” We would like to reach out to our neighborhood and provide a hot, home-cooked meal to those who wouldn’t ordinarily receive one.
We live in a very low-income area, and a lot of the people in this neighborhood don’t have family to spend the holiday with. We plan to serve a free meal to our area at Fulton Park on Thanksgiving Day. We will also be taking food to Fire House No. 3, which is directly across the street from our house. We realize this is a huge undertaking, and have decided we need to ask for help.
Below is a list of things we think we will need. In order to make it happen, we will need the food between Wednesday at 6:00 p.m. and Thursday at 10:00 a.m. We plan to begin serving at 11:30 a.m. We will also deliver meals in our neighborhood for those who are homebound. We are wondering if you might be able to bring a prepared dish for us to serve. In addition, there are some paper goods we will need to serve the food. If you would like to make a monetary donation instead, please let us know. Any leftover food will be donated to the Evansville Rescue Mission and the St Anthony’s Soup Kitchen. Any leftover monetary donations will be donated to the Evansville Christian Life Center. Also, if you would like to help us Wednesday night or Thursday morning with preparing or serving food, please let us know.
If you have something else planned, please don’t feel pressured to participate in this outreach. But, please pray that we may reach our neighborhood through this gift of a hot meal. Also, please pray that we may get a cooked turkey donated to our cause. (We have a small oven, not even big enough to cook a pizza in - and I’ve never cooked a turkey in my life!) Thanks for your time and consideration.
May God bless you richly.
Amy Thomasson (812) 604-0956 promo@smellrecords.com

Menu
Meat
Turkey
Ham

Sides
Mashed Potatoes & Gravy
Sweet Potatoes
Dressing
Green Beans
Carrots
Corn
Cranberry

Dessert
Any

Breads
Dinner Rolls
Bread

Drinks
Cans of Soda

Miscellaneous
Divided Paper Plates
Plastic Wrap
Individually Wrapped Silverware and Napkin Packets
Coolers (for food storage)
Chafing Dishes and Sterno Fuel
Camping Stoves


No comments:

Post a Comment